For the past 28 years, CAN has held its annual "Cool Topics in Neonatology" Conference in conjunction with the AAP District IX Section on Neonatal-Perinatal Pediatrics. The conference brings nationally and internationally recognized speakers to present on important clinical topics affecting the field of neonatology and allows CAN's membership the chance to interact and engage with peers across the state and country.
2023 Cool Topics in Neonatology Conference - March 3rd to 5th, 2023
The 29th Annual Cool Topics in Neonatology Conference will be held Friday, March 3 - Sunday, March 5th, 2023, at the Coronado Island Marriott Resort in Coronado, California. Internationally recognized faculty will present important clinical topics related to current trends and best practices in neonatal intensive care. This will include new modes of communication in the modern world with a recognition of the family as the center of a team-based approach to care.
Video recordings of the 2023 Cool Topics in Neonatology and the 2023 CPQCC conference will be available to all (in-person and virtual) registrants for three weeks following the live conference. This video syllabus will allow all paid registrants to view the conference lectures at their own pace.
This year, we are pleased to feature:
- A keynote address by Dr. Robert Wachter titled: Covid & Scientific Communication: What Did We Learn?
Robert M. Wachter, MD
Robert M. Wachter, MD, is Professor and Chair of the Department of Medicine at UCSF, and has had leadership roles in several fields. He coined the term “hospitalist,” has been an international leader in patient safety, and has been a key influencer in healthcare’s bumpy digital transformation. His tweets on Covid-19 were viewed more than 500 million times by 275,000 followers and served as a trusted source of information on the clinical, public health, and policy issues surrounding the pandemic.
- Digital media resources/podcasts for neonatologists and clinical updates from Dr. Roger Soll
- MIST/LISA and SALSA (LMA surfactant) by Dr. Peter Dargaville and Dr. Kari Roberts
- Pro/Con debate on Cooling Mild HIE with Dr. Terrie Inder and Dr. Sonia Bonifacio
- Multiomics and Machine Learning in the NICU with Dr. Ivana Maric and Dr. Mohan Pammi
- Clinical Decision Support (CDS) Tools in the NICU with Dr. Michael Kuzniewicz
- Neonatal Growth and Nutrition with Dr. Mandy Brown Belfort and Dr. Stephen Barlow
In addition, we are also offering:
- 7 interactive breakout sessions with expert demos and discussions of current interest.
- 2-day Point of Care Ultrasound (POCUS) workshop by Dr. Jae Kim ($300/$150 trainees)
Archive of Past Conferences
Click for past lectures and conference resources.